Like many web sites, we may collect some information provided by your browser as you use this site. This is used to give statistical information about user visits, e.g. how many visits we receive, which pages are most popular (or never read), browsers used (so we can decide when to stop supporting older versions of browsers), and various other information. This information is collected and analysed using a variety of means, including server logs and Google Analytics.
We use a limited number of cookies to collect non-personal anonymised information about your use of this site. Cookies are small text files from a website that are kept on your computer.
Use of this site implies your acceptance of these cookies.
You may disable or delete cookies using your browser settings and preferences. Instructions vary depending on your browser. Doing so will not affect your use of this web site.
For more information on cookies and how to change your browser settings, see AboutCookies.com
We do not accept third party advertising, which is the main source of third party cookies (and which can track visitors, albeit anonymously, across multiple websites).
We are not responsible for nor have any control over the content of other website. A link does not imply official endorsement.
Please feel free to link to our site (we can't stop you!) if appropriate. However, we do not normally take part in reciprocal link programmes.
Download PDF version of this policy (119KB).
Who we are
The Christian Walking Club (CWC) is for people who enjoy walking and share the Christian faith. We are a national club with a programme of weekend and week events during the year throughout the UK and sometimes abroad. This policy sets out how we use your data and your rights with regard to how we use it.
What data we collect on the Membership Form:
Your Name, Address, Telephone number, Mobile telephone number, Email address, Year of birth, Full membership with Statement of Faith or Associate membership.
How we use it
- Administering your membership. Your year of birth ensures that you are 18 years old or over and also helps us to review our membership profile.
- Facilitating voting activities within the club in accordance with the club's constitution.
- To send you news and upcoming events within the club, via email and / or post.
- Your name will be sent to Event Teams and Event leaders if you are on the approved or provisional walk leader list, you have volunteered to lead worship or use your musical skills in club worship, or offered to lead an event.
Event Participation Data
What data we collect on event participants on the event booking form:
- Your Name, Address, Telephone number.
- Mobile telephone number (if you have one).
- Email address (if you have one).
- Name of next of kin and their address and telephone number.
How we use it
- As part of incident response activities, for example, if we need to contact your nominated emergency contact.
- Administering the event.
- Giving your name on room allocations to the venue e.g. YHA.
- Organising transport if you have requested a lift.
- Safety planning for the event.
- The club committee reviews the event reports for details of any incidents, feedback on the potential walk leaders, to identify any improvements for future events and continue to make the events as safe as possible.
- Our event leaders and / or walk leaders may also record in event reports named individuals and information about them such as any injuries in relation to incidents or any notable occurrences.
Photographs and Promotional Material on the Club Website and Social Media
We may take photographs at club events and these may be included in promotional material such as on the club's website, or on social media pages. By participating in our events, you are agreeing to your image being used for such purposes, unless you contact us to the contrary.
Sharing your data
We only use your data for the purposes stated above and we do not share your data with any third parties other than to provide our service to you. This may include:
- Providing information to emergency services and / or our insurance provider in the event of an incident occurring during a walk/ event.
- Use of the MailChimp (ref 1) service to send you news and other information about the club and our events by email.
- Our printers who mail out paper documents such as the CWC programme.
- Sharing with venues the names of event participants where room allocation is required.
Secure Storage and Transfer of Data Within the Club
Member's personal data from their membership form will be stored in encrypted, password protected files by the Membership Secretary and periodically backed up to an alternative secure location.
Event Booking Forms and files of data extracted from the booking form will be stored securely. These will be destroyed after the event.
Personal data will only be shared, and stored securely, with other committee members or Event Teams when required for a specific task and limited to the data required to perform that task.
Emails to club members should be sent BCC so that members are not given unnecessary, unconsented access to other members' email addresses.
How long will we keep your data for?
We will hold your data on our Membership Database for three years from when your membership lapses.
Your right to access your data
If you would like to see a copy of the personal data that we hold on you, please contact us. In compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation we will need the request to be provided in writing and to see photographic Identity and proof of address in order to confirm your identity before we can share the data with you.
If any of your personal data held by us is incorrect or out of date, please contact us so that we can correct your data.
Deleting your data
If you would like to request that we delete your data from our records, please contact us and we will do so providing there is no legal or contractual obligation for us to keep it.
MailChimp has provided on its website a GDPR guide for organisations using their services: MailChimp_GDPR_Sept2017 (PDF, 669KB)
MailChimp also offers an updated Data Processing Agreement for its clients: https://mailchimp.com/legal/forms/data-processing-agreement